Domaine Baron Thenard – Corton Clos du Rois 2010
The Thenard family has owned land in Givry since 1760, but the estate was not officially founded until 1842. Thirty years later, in 1872, Baron Paul Thenard acquired two large parcels in Le Montrachet, totalling 1.86 hectares. This transaction put the domaine on the map making the Thenards the 2nd largest landholder in Montrachet behind only the Marquis de Laguiche, with their single parcel of 2.06 hectares. Additional vineyard acquisitions in the 20th century of the grand cru vineyards Clos du Roi in Corton and Les Grands Echezeaux in Flagey made Thenard one of the most important estates in Burgundy. The heart of the domaine remains in the humble village of Givry, and has been under the direction of Baron Jean-Baptiste Bordeaux-Montrieux (his grandmother was a Thenard) since the early 1980’s. Their approach to winemaking remains traditional, and the wines have a wonderful potential to develop over time.