Campaperi – Brunello Montalcino 2010
Campaperi, which takes its name from a Tuscan mispronunciation of “field of pear trees,” was established at the end of the 19th century in Tavernelle, just a few kilometres from Montalcino. Initially, the farm house belonged to the count of Argiano and was farmed as a tenant property by the Ciacci family until 1952, when they were able to purchase the land. The first vines were planted in the late 1960s, and at around the same time Dino Ciacci co-founded the Consorzio del Vino Brunello di Montalcino. In the 1990s, two new vineyards were added to the estate and the operations were handed down to Fabiano, the 4th generation Ciacci. He and his wife Valentina, a trained oenologist, have been managing the property together for over 15 years. The estate of 7 hectares is spread over three different plots of vines, all at about 400 metres above sea level. Wild pears still line the edges of the southward facing vineyard. Campaperi produces about 40,000 bottles per annum of Rosso, Brunello, Riserva and a small quantity of Rosé. The red wines are aged in Slavonia oak barrels are characterised by intense berries and cherry aromas.